The Canadian Mountain Running Championships came to Golden armed with their fair share of human power! The participating field included some of the best half and full marathon runners in Canada against many Canadian national team mountain runners, and of course.
Our pals Salomon know how thirsty we get during the Golden Ultra (ahem, Eagle's Eye beer breaks), so they've given us a sick XADV Skin 5 vest to give to one of you!!!!
Here's the deal: we're ready to shake things up a bit. So, we figured 1200+ brains are better than a few, and we're having a contest....... for the best NEW contest. Inception style.
Stay with us! To clarify this radical concept - right now, we currently do:
Eagle's Eye Beer Selfie contest
Hobby Horse race category
Is there anything else outrageous you feel is missing during our 3 days together? Anything weird, wacky, or just plain wonderful that you've always wanted to be rewarded for out in the mountains? Let us know!
Contest rules: 1. Like our "contest within a contest" post on FB. 2. Tag your TWO most creative (or outrageous) friends in said post AND an idea for another race weekend contest that would take place at some point during the Golden Ultra, here in Golden BC, September 21st to 23rd.
Just like that you'll be entered to win our Salomon swag! We will announce the winner just in time for the long weekend. Let the brainstorm begin!
You heard it right!
The Canadian Mountain Running Championships will be hosted in Golden, BC on June 9th, 2018. We can't wait!!! If you're in the area, come hang out with us that weekend!!! The even cooler part? You can still register even if you don't meet the eligibility criteria discussed below.
Do I Need to Qualify?
To run in the proper Canadian Championships you do need to qualify by meeting one (or more) of the selection criteria set out below. Unfortunately, the hobby horse doesn't count for this one. BUT if you just want to test your mettle from the same start line at the same time, sign on up. You won't be crowned Canadian Champion if you win, but you will get to elbow it out with some people that can get the crown.
- you have previously competed for Canada in Mountain Running or Cross-Country Running at the international level in the last 5 years (NACAC, Worlds or Commonwealth Championships)
- you have finished in the top three in your age group in a Canadian Regional Mountain Running Qualifying Series race:
- Eastern Qualifying Race: Xtrail Mont Sutton, June 2, 2018 [Note: racers can qualify for the Canadian Mountain Running Championships by finishing in the top three in their age group in any of the 6.5k, 11.8k or 22k races]
- Ontario Qualifying Races: (either)
- 5Peaks Terra Cotta, April 28, 2018 [Note: racers can qualify for the Canadian Mountain Running Championships by finishing in the top three in their age group in either of the Sports (5.4km) or Enduro (10.8km) races] ALMOST SOLD OUT! (or)
- 5Peaks Kelso Half Marathon, May 5, 2018 [Note: racers can qualify for the Canadian Mountain Running Championships by finishing in the top three in their age group
- Prairies Qualifying Race: MEC Whitemud Creek, May 20, 2018 [Note: racers can qualify for the Canadian Mountain Running Championships by finishing in the top three in their age group in any of the 6k, 11k or 15k races]
- BC Qualifying Race: Loop the Lakes, May 19, 2018 [Note: racers can qualify for the Canadian Mountain Running Championships by finishing in the top three in their age group in any of the 8k, 15k or 21k races]
- you have run under 36 minutes (men) or 40 minutes (women) for 10 kilometres in 2017 or 2018 in a sanctioned road or cross-country race or any other equivalent race result.
Curious as to what the course holds in store? Scared because you know how crazy the Golden Ultra is? Well, we don't have many surprises to share... the courses are 10 km or 5 km in distance, depending on your category, and will start at the bottom or half way up Kicking Horse Resort. The 10 km course will have 1000m in elevation gain, the 5 km course about 600m. These courses are longer than the Golden Ultra day 1 stages so expect a lot more trail, and a much less steep average grade... you might even be able to run most of the climb!
You can register for the event at the National Championships website.
First of all, a round of applause for getting through 2017. As we approach a new year, this reset of the calendar always prompts us to refocus and re-align our goals for the next 12 months. Our goal this year is to put on an epic 3 day mountain stage race that was better than the year before, filled with 750 incredible people who love a challenge. And we plan to sell out. That's where you come in.