Are you a hobbyist? An enthusiast? How about a hobby horse enthusiast? Unlike other equestrian endeavours, this sport involves only a minimal investment of money and time. It does not even involve an actual horse. Turns out, all you need is a stick…and a dream.
Inspired by this video we are recognizing a niche group of runners out there who can’t bear to leave their trusty steeds behind.
The challenge: run the entire race with your hobby horse in tow.
To cater to our riders and their stallions, we will have a corral at the start of the race, and veterinary support standing by to ensure soundness of the equines and safety of the riders.
Creativity is encouraged! Hobby horse aficionados take high pride in the sport’s do-it-yourself attitude and we don’t expect anything less from this year’s entries.
- Hobby horse must be at least 1 metre long, ears to tail
- Horse must be ridden for the duration of the race
- Tack is at the discretion of the rider
- Galloping not required
- Riders may choose any event to participate in (new in 2018), but please notify us that you're competing in the hobby-horse category.
- We will have special prizes for all horse and rider teams.
Giddy up! (email email@example.com or give us a shout out on social media with a pic of you and your horse).
Some stories from our 2017 Hobby Horse Challenge
Melanie Colburn undertakes her first ever ultra with Pony Boy (video below).